Today is the day! DOLITTLE is now available on 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital!
I didn’t get the chance to see Dolittle in theaters, so thanks to Universal I was able to watch while at home. I have been a fan of the Dolittle story since I was little. I love animals of all kinds, so a man that was able to communicate with animals was right up my alley.
In this adaptation, Robert Downey, Jr. plays the title character Dr. Dolittle and since I love Robert Downey, Jr. and have for many, many years, I was already sold. The movie starts off telling the story of his life with his beautiful wife Lily, everything was perfect until she left on an adventure and never returned, presumably she died on said adventure. This set Dr. Dolittle on a path of depression and self-isolation, with no one but his animals to keep him company.
Then one day, a young boy with seemingly the same talent of talking to animals heads to Dr. Dolittle to help an injured squirrel, and along with him a young girl who is also on a mission from the Queen. This all sets in motion Dr. Doolittle begrudgingly coming out of his isolation to help them both. This is where his adventure begins.
Like all good stories, this one also has a villain, Dr. Mudfly played by Michael Sheen, who is perfect in this role, however, I think he could have been more villainous if you ask me.
As for the story, it was rather thin and could have used some filling out but I enjoyed watching regardless. The CGI was amazing for most of the animals, there was one at the end that just didn’t look right to me. My only other issue was Dr. Dolittle’s accent, it was weird. Not that he didn’t sound like he was doing the accent justice, it just didn’t “look” like it was coming from his mouth, like it was dubbed over maybe? Let me know if you think the same when you watch.
I definitely enjoyed the movie, more so all of the animals over everything else. It’s definitely a great family movie night movie for the little ones. The storyline is very family-friendly, contains some bodily function jokes and not scary at all.
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD™, BLU-RAY™, DVD AND DIGITAL:
- TALK TO THE ANIMALS – Dolittle is surrounded by a motley cast of characters. Take a peek at all the fun the cast had giving each of the animals their unique voice.
- ROBERT DOWNEY JR. & HARRY: MENTOR AND MENTEE – Acting opposite a legendary actor like Robert Downey Jr. can be an intimidating experience, but Harry Collett handled it like a pro. See the unique bond the two actors formed on-set, and how Downey took the film’s young co-star under his wing.
- BECOMING THE GOOD DOCTOR – See the process of how this team of talented artists brought this film to life, and how Robert Downey Jr. transformed into the iconic Dolittle.
- ANTONIO BANDERAS: PIRATE KING – Antonio Banderas discusses what attracted him to the project, his experiences working with Robert Downey Jr., and what he brought to the role of King Rassouli.
- THE WICKED DR. MÜDFLY – Who is the nefarious villain Dr. Blair Müdfly? Michael Sheen dives into his character’s motivations for being Dolittle’s foil.
- A MOST UNUSUAL HOUSE – It takes a special home to accommodate humans and animals alike. Explore the unique rooms and modifications that allow Dolittle to house anyone or anything – big or small.