This post may contain affiliate links
If you love dog’s as much as I do, this is the movie for you. A Dog’s Journey is the sequel to the 2017 movie A Dog’s Purpose. Both of these movies are based on the novels of W. Bruce Cameron which I highly suggest you purchase both of them, they are fantastic but just like the movies, will make you cry, so you have been warned.
In this A Dog’s Journey, it continues the tale of lovable farm dog Bailey, as he finds a new destiny and forms an unbreakable bond, and learns that some friendships transcend lifetimes. Bailey (voiced again by Josh Gad; Beauty and the Beast, Frozen) is living the good life on the Michigan farm of his former “boy” now grown to manhood, Ethan (Dennis Quaid; A Dog’s Purpose, I Can Only Imagine) and Ethan’s wife Hannah (Marg Helgenberger; “C.S.I.,” “Under the Dome”). He even has a new playmate: Ethan and Hannah’s baby granddaughter, CJ (Kathryn Prescott; “24: Legacy”). Everything is great on the farm until CJ’s mom, Gloria (Betty Gilpin, Isn’t It Romantic, “GLOW”), decides to take CJ away and chase her own fulfillment in the big city. Ethan asks Bailey to watch over CJ wherever she goes and thus begins Bailey’s adventure through multiple lives filled with love, friendship and devotion as he, CJ, and CJ’s best friend Trent (Henry Lau; Internationally famous pop star) experience joy and heartbreak, music and laughter, and few really good belly rubs.
A Dog’s Journey features over 30 minutes of bonus content including deleted and extended scenes, a hilarious gag reel and featurettes with the cast and a behind the scenes look at the memorable animal performances.
Even though I LOVE animals of all kinds, I will cry like a baby during movies about them, especially if they pass away in the movie as they do in this movie, over and over. BUT the premise of the movie does make me feel a little better, the idea that our pets can return to us and to our family over and over again. As you can see below, our dogs are our babies and watching this movie just made me love them even more than I already do but look at them, how could I not?
BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- It’s Gonna Work
- A Song for Molly
- You Can Stay Here
- Just Do the Laundry
- Let’s Get Started
- Gloria Looks at Henry’s Things
- This Place is Huge
- It’s Really Happening
- I’ve Loved You Forever
- Gag Reel
- A DOG’S Sequel – New and returning cast members discuss their roles in A Dog’s Journey and share their appreciation for director Gail Mancuso.
- Everyone’s Best Friend – Sit down with the cast to hear about their life-long love of man’s best friend.
- Working with Dogs – Cast and crew share the joys of working with animal-actors.
- A Healing Journey – Josh Gad, Dennis Quaid and others discuss the bond between dogs and humans.
- Scoring the JOURNEY – Director Gail Mancuso and composer Mark Isham discuss the music in the film.
- Feature Commentary with Director Gail Mancuso
STAY SOCIAL WITH A DOG’S JOURNEY