Traditions, the Holiday season is full of them. Why? Because we like to pay homage to those who mean or have meant the world to us. In my case, my parents. Both of my parents have long passed on but every year during the holiday season I make sure that their presence is felt. This is done in a variety of ways starting with Halloween and the certain decorations I always put up because they belonged to my Mom, to Thanksgiving where I make a special dish year after year because she passed the recipe down to me, and then there is Christmas, where everything from the food to the decorations is in memory.
This Thanksgiving I decided to not only honor the old traditions but to usher in a new one by making a new dessert that my boys will hopefully one day make with their families in honor of me. I went to my local Giant to grab the ingredients I needed and found a few more things to make the holidays special. They also had a great deal on Nature’s Promise Free From Turkey’s this year.
Pre-order a Nature’s Promise Free from turkey between now and 11/11 and you will receive a coupon for an additional $5 off coupon to use when you pick up your bird!
What makes Nature’s Promise Free from turkeys stand out in the crowd?
- Never ever given antibiotics
- fed a vegetarian diet which contributes to taste
- humanely raised
- fresh, never frozen
I picked up some Thanksgiving essentials like mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pie crusts, Sauerkraut, Kielbasa and a few other ingredients to make my new side. I even found our favorite holiday scent which besides food, it another holiday staple.
My traditional side and one that makes me think of my Mom is the kielbasa and sauerkraut dish that she passed down. It’s so easy. all you need to do is place the sauerkraut and the kielbasa in a slow cooker and sprinkle a little brown sugar on top to cut the sour a bit and cook for 6 hours. It is delicious and always a family favorite.
My new dish is spin on the Oreo Cake that I do every single year, an Oreo Pie! It’s quick and easy to make and the kids loved it!
- 1 premade chocolate pie crust
- 1 jar (2 cups) of hot fudge warmed in microwave
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 Oreo™ cookies, coarsely crushed
- 8 Oreo™ cookies for top of cake
- Warm hot fudge for about 20 seconds in the microwave and pour half into the bottom of the pie shell, spreading evenly.
- In a bowl beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form and set aside
- In another bowl mix, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla till smooth
- Gently fold in heavy whipping cream
- Add crushed Oreos
- Spoon pie filling into shell, spreading evenly
- Pour remaining hot fudge on top, add Oreos to top
- Chill for 2 hours
I’d love to hear what your traditional Thanksgiving recipes are.
Remember to visit Giant and get everything you need for Thanksgiving, PLUS new online customers get a $5 coupon!